Newport News & Mississippi Valley Railroad 1881 – 1892

The First Railroad in Rowan County

In June 1879, the Newport News & Mississippi Valley Railroad (owned by Collis P. Huntington) began surveying to complete the central section. During this period, Huntington gained full control of the Elizabethtown, Lexington & Big Sandy line.  During 1881, construction work began from Mt. Sterling to Mt. Savage. In December 1881, the first train operated over the route from Ashland to Lexington, a distance of over 109 miles. In February 1892, the line was formally consolidated into the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (Huntington held interests in both the C &O and the Newport News & Mississippi Valley Railroad)

Accessed: The Lexington History Museum’s website: http://lexhistory.org/wikilex/lexington-big-sandy-railroad